All of us that aren’t in a coma, recognized the news of Osama bin Laden’s death as really really important. But why is that, one might ask? Psychology Today lists a few answers and further implications:
1. Barack Obama will be re-elected.
2. It took us a long time to catch Bin Laden.
3. Muslim allies don’t really love the US.
4. Bin Laden was already passé.
5. We haven’t figured out the next phase of Arab-Islamic nationalism.
While it is true that bin Laden was a half-baked has-been, he now has a renaissance. As a symbol he might rise once again, but of course all the problems this Mujahedin started are still not resolved. The political world will probably look very different within just a few months. Stay tuned.